1. Home
  2. Scholarships
  3. How to Comply with Scholarship Program Requirements

How to Comply with Scholarship Program Requirements


Requirements prior to service

Requirements once you begin service

How to understand your contract

Your NHSC SP contract begins once you sign the contract and the Secretary of HHS or their designee countersigns it. Your scholarship support begins during the school years agreed to in your contract.

Before making changes to your service status (e.g., transfers, medical suspension, maternity leave, or half-time conversion) you must seek prior approval from the NHSC. Submit requests through the BHW Customer Service Portal.

Can I receive additional support after receiving my award?

Yes. You may request contracts for subsequent school years through graduation for a maximum of four school years of support.

We grant continuation awards when appropriated funds for the NHSC SP are available and you meet all of the following requirements:

  • Enrolled full-time in academic courses leading to the degree for which we funded you;
  • You have an existing NHSC SP contract covering the school year in which you enrolled in a full-time course of study;
  • You are in good academic standing.
  • You comply with policies and procedures of the NHSC SP.

Note: You cannot request a continuation award after your existing contract expires.

Can I terminate my contract?

The Secretary of HHS (or their designee) may terminate your contract. Review your NHSC Scholarship Program Application and Program Guidance for details.

How to fulfill your service commitment

You begin service within six months of graduating from school or completing postgraduate training (if applicable).

When do I begin receiving credit for my service?

Credit for service toward your service commitment only begins after you do all of the following:

  • Pass required licensing and national certification exams.
  • Obtain a full, permanent, unrestricted health professional license in the state where you intend to practice (unless you have a license in another state and will work for a federal entity).
  • Begin full-time or half-time clinical practice at an NHSC-approved service site(s).

Can I delay my service?

You can only delay the start of service by requesting a suspension.

When does my service commitment end?

Your last day of service depends on the number of service years you committed to in your contract.

  • Example: You have a three year service commitment. Your last day will occur three years to the day after you begin service (e.g. start: July 15, 2019; end: July 14, 2022).

Can I serve longer at an NHSC site to receive more financial support?

You may be eligible to apply for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP) after you complete your scholarship service commitment.

We consider applications to the NHSC LRP from scholars on a non-competitive basis.

How to complete your service hours

You must work a minimum number of hours per week full-time or half-time. That work must be within the profession for which you applied, and we awarded you via the NHSC SP contract, at your NHSC-approved service site(s).

Date Last Reviewed: