With a few exceptions, we help you schedule, and pay for, travel to job interviews.
You can receive a travel allotment up to $1,200. It covers transportation, hotel, meals, and incidentals.
You must travel to NHSC-approved sites that meet the HPSA score requirement.
In which cases am I responsible for costs?
We won’t reimburse you for any travel expenses within 50 miles of your current residence. You must pay any costs outside of the authorized travel allotment guidelines.
Can I receive additional help?
Some sites also help with these travel-related expenses. Confirm with them before making travel plans.
Also, communicate with your Regional Advisor.
How travel logistics work
The NHSC works with Enterprise Management Services, Inc. (EMS). They specialize in federal travel and relocation logistics.
How long does it take to travel for an interview?
Typically, standard travel for an interview is three days and two nights.
If you interview at two or more sites in the same area, you may submit a request in advance for one or more additional days. We handle requests like these on a case-by-case basis.
What does EMS arrange for me?
The EMS travel and relocation coordinator arranges job interview travel. This includes:
- A roundtrip airline ticket
- A hotel
- Rental car expenses (if allowed)
Can I arrange my own travel?
Yes. If you choose to arrange your own travel, you can submit a request for expense reimbursement upon your return.
Review the allowable expenses with an EMS travel and relocation coordinator prior to traveling.
Follow these travel rules
We must approve all interview travel requests before you travel.
- If you fail to comply, we won’t reimburse your expenses.
- You must complete all interview travel per Federal Travel Regulations and NHSC travel policies.
- We won’t cover the cost of travel to a site more than once.
- We only allow travel requests for job interviews.
How to request travel approval and reimbursement
- Confirm with your Regional Advisor that the site(s) where you plan to interview are in good standing and meet the required HPSA score.
If you want to work in Alaska, Hawaii, or any one of the U.S. territories, contact the following regional supervisors to discuss additional requirements:
- Log in to the BHW Customer Service Portal.
- Request approval for your interview at least 14 days in advance.
- If a site notifies you about a last minute interview, submit your request as soon as possible.
- Find the travel and relocation request link in the “I NEED TO…” section.
Note: If you are interviewing with multiple sites during your travel, add all sites to the same interview request.
- Typically, we approve or deny your request within three business days after we receive your information.
- We confirm it through the BHW Customer Service Portal.
- Send any changes to your request—after you submit it—to your Regional Advisor. You can also ask a question via the Portal.
- Upon approval, an EMS Travel and Relocation Coordinator will contact you to schedule an appointment to discuss travel arrangements and guidelines.
- Within three months following your travel:
- Submit your online expense report to the EMS travel and relocation coordinator.
- The coordinator usually processes reimbursements within 30–60 business days.
Note: Confirm you have a valid email address and phone number listed in the BHW Customer Service Portal so EMS can contact you.
When will I receive my reimbursement?
We reimburse you after you submit the online expense report to your EMS travel and relocation coordinator. You must include original receipts.
What we allow for family members
We consider a family member to be anyone relocating with you during your NHSC service.
Do you provide a travel allotment for family members?
Yes. We provide $1,200 for a family member to join you on one interview trip.
This covers the cost of transportation, meals, and incidentals--but, not hotel costs.
We only reimburse family members for the standard three-day travel. This applies even if we approved you for extended interview travel.
Note: You can’t use the family member allotment for other Scholars, even if they're family members.
What rules apply to family member travel?
- You must depart and return together when traveling.
- You must stay in one hotel room.
Amount must not exceed the General Services Administration (GSA) lodging per diem rate for the location.
You may receive reimbursement when you:
- Use your privately-owned vehicle for a round-trip site visit.
- Drive your privately-owned vehicle to and from the closest accommodating airport.
We use the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) mileage reimbursement rate. It includes the cost of gas.
- Per Diem
Covers meals and incidentals—determined by location.
- Airport Parking
- Public transportation or taxis
- Rental Car
- We must approve in advance.
- You should only use a rental car if there’s a significant distance between the airport and the interview site.
- You will obtain the most economic rental.
Note: We won't reimburse personal expenses, excluding per diem. Use your travel allotment for job interviews only.
How to travel with other members of my Scholar class
You may wish to travel with another member of your Scholar class. If so, you must each use your own allotment to cover travel costs to interviews.
What to do if a site’s HPSA score changes
A site’s HPSA score may decrease after your interview.
If you receive and accept a job offer within six months of your interview—we'll honor the site’s original HPSA score. This is true even if the score decreases below your HPSA requirement.
- Confirm the site’s HPSA score with your Regional Advisor prior to the interview.
- Submit an official interview travel request via the BHW Customer Service Portal.
- After six months, you will no longer be eligible to work at that site. You will have to resume your job search.
Note: Submit a request for all job interviews. You must do this if you want to use the site's current HPSA score for up to six months after your interview.
We require the request:
- Even if your interview is local or virtual; or
- Whether or not you'll request travel funds
What to do next
You’ve secured a job at an NHSC-approved site. Now, learn how NHSC can help manage and reimburse your relocation expenses.