Extend Your Service
Is your service commitment ending soon?
Receive additional funding for extending your service. Read the FY 2021 LRP Continuation Contract Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 497 KB).
With a continuation contract, you can extend your service by one year in exchange for loan repayment.
You must be an eligible, current National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP) or NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) participant.
When do I apply?
Review the chart. We'll also email you and your site once the application cycle opens.
|Contract End Dates Between||Application Cycle Start and End Dates|
|September 1, 2021 – September 29, 2021||April 20, 2021 – May 13, 2021|
How do I apply?
- Log into the Customer Service Portal.
- Select Apply for a Continuation Contract under the "I Need To..." section.
Gather documentation showing you applied all previous NHSC LRP award funds to reducing your qualifying educational loan(s).
Your payment history must include:
- Lender’s name
- Account holder’s name
- Account number
- Date of payment(s)
- Amount of payment(s)
Determine your eligibility and follow program requirements:
How can I receive additional funding?
You could get an additional $5,000 in funding with the Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) award enhancement.
Are you eligible?
- have a DATA 2000 Waiver;
- provide MAT at your NHSC-approved site; and
- Physician (Doctor of Medicine (MD)/Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO));
- Physician assistant (PA);
- Nurse practitioner (NP); or
- Certified nurse-midwife (CNM).
How do I get the DATA 2000 Waiver?
Who provides the training?
NHSC and Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA)’s Provider Clinical Support System (PCSS) offer MAT training to qualified behavioral health opioid and substance use disorder (SUD) clinicians.
This NHSC-PCSS collaboration supports clinicians who provide evidence-based SUD treatment in communities that need it most.
What are the FY 2021 award levels?
These are the FY 2021 continuation contract award levels for the NHSC (LRP and S2S) and the *MAT Award Enhancement:
(with DATA 2000 Waiver)
(with DATA 2000 Waiver)
|3rd year of NHSC Service||$20,000||$25,000||$10,000||$15,000|
|4th year of NHSC Service||$20,000||$25,000||$10,000||$15,000|
|5th year of NHSC Service and beyond||$10,000||$15,000||$5,000||$10,000|
NHSC Loan Repayment Program
You may be eligible to continue loan repayment beyond the initial contract, one year at a time, and pay off all qualifying educational loans.
You must have:
There is no guarantee that you will receive a continuation contract for continued participation in the program beyond the initial contract.
Continuation awards will be made at the government’s discretion and depend on the availability of appropriated funds.
To pursue a continuation contract, you must have a record of compliance with NHSC LRP requirements.
If you fail to comply with program requirements in a timely manner during the respective contract period, we may not select you.
What factors influence our decision?
- You fail to apply all previously awarded NHSC LRP funds to your qualifying educational loans, as listed on your Participant Authorization Worksheet (PAW).
- You fail to submit 6-month In-Service Verification (ISV) forms on time.
- If any ISV is more than 60 days delinquent, we may consider you unqualified.
- You convert from a full-time to half-time schedule without first obtaining NHSC approval.
- You fail to alert the NHSC that you left, or will leave one or more of your NHSC-approved sites, without notifying the NHSC in advance of your departure.
- You transfer to another site prior to obtaining NHSC approval or you request excessive transfers (more than two voluntary transfers).
- You fail to adhere to other program timelines and policies. If you fail to:
- Disclose information regarding your service that impacts compliance with the terms and conditions of an NHSC contract (e.g., working at an additional site);
- Submit documentation for service requests in a timely manner (e.g., transfer request documents); or
- Demonstrate flexibility in practice locations prior to official NHSC site assignment (in cases of unemployed clinicians).
- You have excessive absences.
- You have more than 35 workday absences per service year, without a documented medical, personal, or otherwise substantiated reason meeting the criteria for a suspension of the service obligation.
Note: If some of these factors apply while you serve your initial contract, and you don't resolve them promptly, this may result in a breach of contract. This would put you in default of your NHSC LRP contract.
The continuation contract application process is the same as the NHSC LRP.
NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program
Once you complete the initial three-year service contract, you may be eligible to apply for additional loan repayment funds.
This allows you to pay any remaining educational loans through one-year continuation service contracts.
- Have remaining unpaid qualifying educational loans;
- Have applied all previously received S2S LRP payments, during the contract period, to reduce your qualifying educational loans;
- Continue to serve at an NHSC-approved site; and
- Meet all other program requirements in effect at the time we consider you for a continuation contract.
There is no guarantee that you will receive a continuation contract.
We give continuation contracts at our discretion. It also depends on the availability of appropriated funds.
We will notify you via email if you are eligible to apply for a continuation contract.