Skip to main content

Determine Your Eligibility and Apply for a Continuation Contract

If eligible, current National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program (NHSC LRP) or NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) recipients may continue their service in exchange for loan repayment through a continuation contract.

Determine your eligibility and adhere to program requirements:

NHSC Loan Repayment Program

You may be eligible to continue loan repayment beyond the initial contract, one year at a time, and pay off all qualifying educational loans.

What must you do to remain eligible for the program?

You must have:

Do we guarantee continuation contracts?

There is no guarantee that you will receive a continuation contract for continued participation in the program beyond the initial contract.

Continuation awards will be made at the government’s discretion and depend on the availability of appropriated funds.

How can you increase the possibility of receiving a continuation contract?

To pursue a continuation contract, you must have a record of compliance with NHSC LRP requirements.

If you fail to comply with program requirements in a timely manner during the respective contract period, we may not select you.

Factors Influencing Our Decision

  • You fail to apply all previously awarded NHSC LRP funds to your qualifying educational loans, as listed on your Participant Authorization Worksheet (PAW).
  • You fail to submit 6-month In-Service Verification (ISV) forms on time.
    • If any ISV is more than 60 days delinquent, we may consider you unqualified.
  • You convert from a full-time to half-time schedule without first obtaining NHSC approval.
  • You fail to alert the NHSC that you left, or will leave one or more of your NHSC-approved sites, without notifying the NHSC in advance of your departure.
  • You transfer to another site prior to obtaining NHSC approval or you request excessive transfers (more than two voluntary transfers).
  • You fail to adhere to other program timelines and policies
    • If you fail to:
      • Disclose information regarding your service that impacts compliance with the terms and conditions of an NHSC contract (e.g., working at an additional site);
      • Submit documentation for service requests in a timely manner (e.g., transfer request documents); or
      • Demonstrate flexibility in practice locations prior to official NHSC site assignment (in cases of unemployed clinicians).
  • You have excessive absences.
    • You have more than 35 workday absences per service year, without a documented medical, personal, or otherwise substantiated reason meeting the criteria for a suspension of the service obligation.

Note: If some of the above factors apply while you serve your initial contract, and you do not resolve them promptly, this may result in a breach of contract. This would put you in default of your NHSC LRP contract.

When do you apply?

Updated dates for when you should apply coming soon.

We will also email you and your site once the application cycle opens.

Award Amounts

Service Year Full-Time Half-Time
3rd year of service $20,000 $10,000
4th year of service $20,000 $10,000
5th year of service $10,000 $5,000
6th year of service $10,000 $5,000

How do you apply?

NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program

Once you complete the initial three-year service contract, you may be eligible to apply for additional loan repayment funds to pay any remaining educational loans through one-year continuation service contracts.

How do you remain eligible for the program?

You must:

  • Still have unpaid qualifying educational loans;
  • Have applied all previously received S2S LRP payments, during the contract period, to reduce your qualifying educational loans;
  • Continue to serve at an NHSC-approved site; and
  • Meet all other program requirements in effect at the time we consider you for a continuation contract.

Do we guarantee continuation contracts?

There is no guarantee that you will receive a continuation contract.

Continuation contracts are at the government’s discretion and depend on the availability of appropriated funds.

If eligible, when do you apply?

We will notify you via email about whether you are eligible to apply for a continuation contract.

Contact Us

Call 1-800-221-9393
(TTY: 1-877-897-9910)
M - F, 8:00 am - 8:00 pm ET
(except federal holidays)
Email us
BHW Customer Service Portal

Member Experiences

Application & Program Guidance (APG)