There is no guarantee that you will receive a continuation contract for continued participation in the program beyond the initial contract.
Continuation awards will be made at the government’s discretion and depend on the availability of appropriated funds.
To pursue a continuation contract, you must have a record of compliance with NHSC LRP requirements.
If you fail to comply with program requirements in a timely manner during the respective contract period, we may not select you.
What factors influence our decision?
- You fail to apply all previously awarded NHSC LRP funds to your qualifying educational loans, as listed on your Participant Authorization Worksheet (PAW).
- You fail to submit 6-month In-Service Verification (ISV) forms on time.
- If any ISV is more than 60 days delinquent, we may consider you unqualified.
- You convert from a full-time to half-time schedule without first obtaining NHSC approval.
- You fail to alert the NHSC that you left, or will leave one or more of your NHSC-approved sites, without notifying the NHSC in advance of your departure.
- You transfer to another site prior to obtaining NHSC approval or you request excessive transfers (more than two voluntary transfers).
- You fail to adhere to other program timelines and policies. If you fail to:
- Disclose information regarding your service that impacts compliance with the terms and conditions of an NHSC contract (e.g., working at an additional site);
- Submit documentation for service requests in a timely manner (e.g., transfer request documents); or
- Demonstrate flexibility in practice locations prior to official NHSC site assignment (in cases of unemployed clinicians).
- You have excessive absences.
- You have more than 35 workday absences per service year, without a documented medical, personal, or otherwise substantiated reason meeting the criteria for a suspension of the service obligation.
Note: If some of these factors apply while you serve your initial contract, and you don't resolve them promptly, this may result in a breach of contract. This would put you in default of your NHSC LRP contract.