For class year 2024, priority for assignment of NHSC Scholarship-obligated Corps personnel (NHSC scholars) at NHSC-approved sites is as follows:
- Primary medical care HPSAs with scores of:
- 19 and above are authorized for the assignment of NHSC scholars who are primary care physicians or primary care nurse practitioners
- 3 and above are authorized for the assignment of primary care physician assistants and
- 7 and above are authorized for the assignment of NHSC scholars who are certified nurse midwives
- Mental health HPSAs with scores of 19 and above are authorized for the assignment of NHSC scholars* who are psychiatrists. *Nurse practitioners and physician assistants were not broken out by specialty in this year’s HPSA scoring for mental health.
- Dental HPSAs with scores of 19 and above are authorized for the assignment of NHSC scholars who are dentists.
The NHSC has determined that the minimum HPSA scores listed above for all service ready NHSC scholars will enable it to meet its statutory obligation to identify a number of entities eligible for NHSC scholar assignment that is at least equal to, but not greater than, twice the number of NHSC scholars available to serve in the 2024 class year..
NHSC entities wishing to have a site’s HPSA score reevaluated in order to meet the minimum score requirement for NHSC scholar service must provide additional data and information in writing no later than June 30, 2023.
Generally, a site can only hire one NHSC scholar in a class year. Entities wishing to request an additional scholar for one of their NHSC-approved sites must complete an Additional Scholar Request Form (PDF - 465 KB).
NHSC-approved sites that do not meet the HPSA score requirements for NHSC scholars may post job openings on the Health Workforce Connector, which connects sites with thousands of job seekers, including NHSC Loan Repayment Program and Nurse Corps participants. However, sites must be aware that such openings are not available for scholar placement in this class year.
How do we calculate HPSA scores?
We follow three steps to calculate the score each year.