Make a smooth transition from training to practice. Review:
- Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) employment deadlines;
- Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) requirements for your NHSC-approved site; and
- Hints on conducting your job search.
You are part of the 2020 S2S LRP class, IF:
- You are completing a residency that ends between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020.
- You aren’t completing a residency but your graduation date is between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2020.
How to understand employment deadlines
Must start work within six months of the end of (required) residency
Must start work within six months of the end of (optional) residency OR within six months of graduation
What are the notifications and deadlines for CY 2020 NHSC S2S LRP?
|February 1, 2020||
|April 15, 2020||
How to understand HPSA score requirements
As an NHSC S2S LRP participant, you must work at an NHSC-approved site with a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) score of 14 or higher.
Note: An NHSC-approved site may no longer be available, or its HPSA score may change, by the time you are ready to serve.
If you interview at a site and submit an official travel request via your BHW Customer Service Portal account, we will honor the original HPSA score of the site for up to six months after the date of your interview, even if the site’s HPSA score changes.
We reserve the right to make final decisions on all sites to comply with statutory requirements.
How to identify where you want to work
- Review the different types of NHSC-approved sites.
- Consider site size, patient population, organizational support, and work schedule options.
- Think about what kind of environment and location best suit you and your family.
- Make a list of your “must haves” vs. “nice to haves.”
- Be flexible and keep an open mind about high-need areas across the country.
- Remember the HPSA score requirement.
- Get input from current NHSC clinicians via Member Stories videos.
How to connect with your assigned Regional Advisor
- Meet key job search deadlines and documentation requirements.
- Ask about clinical rotations.
- Get approval for potential sites and verify site HPSA scores.
- Receive job search guidance and discuss pre-approval process for site visits.
How to begin your job search
- Start networking—follow NHSC on LinkedIn .
- Set up a profile; then search the Health Workforce Connector, a database of jobs at NHSC sites.
- Don’t limit your search to only open vacancies.
- You are eligible to compete for all job vacancies in your discipline/specialty.
- Contact the site directly to apply.
- Attend a Virtual Job Fair.
- Contact your state Primary Care Office (PCO) or Primary Care Association (PCA) to learn about open positions, the local community, and sites that may be hiring.