National Health Service Corps (NHSC)-approved sites provide outpatient, primary healthcare services to people in Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs).
We help eligible NHSC-approved sites in two critical ways:
- Recruit and Retain Clinicians
- Technical Assistance
How to Recruit and Retain Clinicians
Recruit New/Additional Clinicians
- Inform potential clinicians that they may be eligible to apply for loan repayment given your NHSC-approved status.
- We give priority consideration to those working at NHSC-approved sites with a HPSA score of 14 and above.
- Up to $50,000 in loan repayment is possible for an initial service commitment.
- Hire an NHSC Scholar and/or an NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) participant, if eligible.
- Each year, we calculate data, which helps us determine the minimum HPSA score a site must meet to recruit and hire NHSC scholars and NHSC S2S LRP participants.
- Create a site profile and post job openings on the BHW Customer Service Portal, which directly feeds into the Health Workforce Connector.
- Clinicians can search and review NHSC-qualifying job openings across the nation.
- Create and maintain a site profile showcasing your site to NHSC participants.
- NHSC applicants, participants, and partners also use the site.
- Participate in Virtual Job Fairs - online versions of traditional job fairs, connecting you directly with qualified job seekers.
Retain Current Clinicians
- Clinicians who already work at NHSC-approved sites may be eligible to apply to the NHSC Loan Repayment Program (LRP).
- NHSC participants are also eligible to apply for a continuation contract.
- It provides additional financial support in return for extended service, and supports the retention of NHSC participants at NHSC-approved sites.
Take Advantage of Technical Assistance
Division of Regional Operations (DRO)
- Assists with site applications
- Conducts NHSC site visits
- Provides program-specific assistance
- Supports your site in recruiting and retaining clinicians
- Helps you navigate the BHW Customer Service Portal
State Primary Care Offices (PCOs)
- Assesses needs and shares data with the public
- Provides technical assistance to organizations and communities looking to expand access to primary care for underserved populations
- Conducts workforce development activities for the NHSC, and the safety net and health center network
- Collaborates with stakeholders to address primary care needs
- Coordinates designation process for Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) and Medically Underserved Areas and Populations (MUA/P) within states