Become an NHSC Site
Use the information and resources below to determine your site’s eligibility and review the required documentation needed to apply.
Inquire to see if your site qualifies for auto-approval
Community Health Centers, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Look-Alikes, Indian Health Service Facilities, Tribally-Operate 638 Health Programs, Urban Indian Health Programs, Indian Health Service and Tribal Hospitals, Federal Prisons, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps sites are auto-approved and do not need to submit an application during the site application period. Contact the Bureau of Health Workforce's Division of Regional Operations (PDF - 267 KB) for more information about the auto-approval process. Site administrators with sites that may be eligible for NHSC Auto-Approval must contact the BHW DRO directly and submit a signed NHSC Site Agreement in order for the site to be added to the NHSC system of record
Determine if your facility is in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
Check other eligibility requirements
Confirm that your site meets all of the eligibility requirements. View site eligibility requirements.
Review the NHSC Site Reference GuideThis document provides important program details that you should understand before applying.NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 569 KB).
Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393.
Get your questions answered
Contact your local PCO before starting your application to make sure your site qualifies and to determine your HPSA designation. Your PCO will review your application once it is submitted. Locate your State PCO or contact the Bureau of Health Workforce’s Division of Regional Operations (PDF - 267 KB).
Create an account to apply onlineCreate an account with the NHSC to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually. Create your account
Gather required documentationCompile the required documentation to submit with your application.
View Required Documents View Required Documents
- Policies on Non-Discrimination. Submit a copy of the site’s policies on non-discrimination of patients based upon race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation, as per the NHSC Site Agreement.
- NHSC Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services Checklist (PDF – 170 KB). Submit a completed copy of the NHSC Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services Checklist.
- Sliding Fee Schedule Documents. Submit documentation (see list below) of the site’s sliding fee schedule (SFS). For examples and more information on the SFS requirement, see the Discounted/Sliding Scale Fee Information Package (PDF - 965 KB).
- Discounted Fee Schedule/SFS
- Patient Application for SFS
- Site’s Policy on the SFS
- Required Signage. Submit a photograph or copy of posted signage that meets the requirements of the NHSC Site Agreement.
- Proof of Access to Ancillary, Inpatient and Specialty Care. Attach proof of referral arrangements for ancillary, inpatient, and specialty care.
- NHSC Site Data Tables. Attach the completed NHSC Site Data Tables (PDF - 555 KB) with information on the individual site location.
Log in to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually.
For Solo and Private Practitioners
Please note that private practices may require a site visit before the application review is completed.
Learn about the approval process
Applications are generally processed within 6 to 8 weeks, however, some may take longer due to application volume, pre-approval site visit requirements, and the quality of submitted information. Please note that some sites may require a site visit before the application review is completed. Log into your account to check the status of your application.