Discounted Fee Schedule
WHEN TO APPLY
- The 2017 application cycle is now closed. The next NHSC New Sites application is scheduled to open in Spring 2018. Sign up to get an e-mail when it does.
- Review the 2017 Site Reference Guide (PDF -688 KB) for detailed information to help you understand the program.
- NHSC Comprehensive Behavioral Health Services Checklist (PDF - 1.2 MB) - outlines the updated requirements for behavioral health providers and sites, which impact all current and prospective NHSC sites that provide behavioral health services.
- Site administrators with sites that may be eligible for NHSC Auto-Approval must contact the BHW DRO directly and submit a signed NHSC Site Agreement in order for the site to be added to the NHSC system of record.
NHSC-approved sites are required to provide health services regardless of the patient's ability to pay, or method of payment. To meet this requirement, NHSC-approved sites (with the exception of correctional facilities and free clinics) should:
- Provide services for free or at a nominal charge to patients whose annual income is at or below the Federal poverty level. View the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Provide a discounted/sliding fee schedule to patients (whose income is up to 200% of the Federal poverty level), which reflects a nominal charge.
- Accept assignment for Medicare beneficiaries and have entered into an appropriate agreement with the applicable State agency for Medicaid and CHIP beneficiaries.
- Prominently post signage (onsite and online if applicable) stating that patients will not be denied services based on inability to pay and that discounts are available based on family size and income.
Discounted/Sliding Schedule Fee Information Package (PDF - 965 KB)
NHSC sites should post a statement that explicitly states that no one will be denied services due to inability to pay or for any other reason (race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, age*, or sexual orientation). Sites must prominently advertise this statement in the waiting room and on the site’s web site, if applicable.
*Age is not an applicable discriminatory factor for pediatric, obstetrics/gynecology or geriatric sites.
Contact your State Primary Care Office for questions about your HPSA designation and the application. The NHSC works closely with your State Primary Care Office and will coordinate a pre-approval site visit as needed.
For additional questions or assistance in becoming an NHSC-approved site, contact the Division of Regional Operations.