NHSC Loan Repayment Program
- Accepting applications through 7:30 p.m. ET on April 6, 2017.
- 2017 Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 401 KB) has detailed information to help you understand the program.
Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393.
Primary care medical, dental and mental/behavioral health clinicians can get up to $50,000 to repay their health profession student loans in exchange for a two-year commitment to work at an approved NHSC site in a high-need, underserved area. The payment is free from Federal income tax and is made at the beginning of service so you can more quickly pay down your loans. Approved sites are located across the U.S., in both urban and rural areas.
After completing your initial service commitment, you can apply to extend your service and receive additional loan repayment assistance.
The amount you receive and length of your commitment depends on where you serve (service at sites in higher need areas yields greater loan repayments). It also depends on whether you select the full-time or half-time option. See the 2017 Application and Program Guidance * (PDF - 401 KB) for details. See if your site is already approved at the Health Workforce Connector.
* Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information in this file. For assistance, please call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393.
How It Works
You Are a Dedicated Primary Care Provider
Fully trained and licensed in an eligible discipline:
- Medicine: MD, DO, NP, CNM, PA
- Dentistry: DMD, DDS, RDH
- Mental/Behavioral Health: HSP, LCSW, PNS, MFT, LPC
See Eligibility for eligible primary care specialties
You Serve a Community in Need
- You find a job at an NHSC-approved site
- Apply to the NHSC Loan Repayment Program
- Fulfill your 2-year commitment at your site – with the option to continue your service and receive additional loan repayment
You Receive Financial, Professional, and Personal Benefits
- Pay off all of your student loans with continued service
- Access educational, training and networking opportunities
- Join a community of providers with a shared desire to care for underserved patients
Upcoming Webinars & Calls
Technical Assistance Call: Program Application
Date: Thursday, March 23
Time: 8-9:30 p.m. ET
Dial-in: 1-800-857-9729 Passcode: 3290045
NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program for nurses working in Critical Shortage Facilities | Loan Repayment for Nurses Comparison (PDF - 133 KB)
Students-to-Service Program for fourth-year medical and dental students