The NHSC provides key tools to help you recruit and retain providers at your site. As an NHSC-approved site:
- Primary care providers at your site may be eligible to receive loan repayment, in addition to the salary you offer
- You may be eligible to hire an NHSC scholar
- You may post job openings on the Health Workforce Connector, which is accessible to Corps members and others
Recruit and Retain NHSC Loan Repayment Program Participants
You can use your status as an NHSC-approved site to recruit new providers and help retain current staff.
- Notify your current staff that they may be eligible to apply for loan repayment assistance. Priority consideration is given to eligible applicants whose NHSC-approved site has a HPSA score of 26 to 14, in descending order. Eligible applicants may receive up to $50,000 in loan repayment for an initial service commitment until funding is exhausted.
- Inform primary care providers when you interview them for positions that your site is NHSC-approved and therefore they may be eligible to apply for loan repayment if they accept your open position.
- Post job openings on the NHSC Recruitment Site to alert prospective and current Corps members to your needs.
The NHSC Recruitment Site reaches thousands of health care professionals who are actively seeking work in communities with limited access to care. You can post and update job openings on the NHSC Recruitment Site through the Customer Service Portal.
Recruit NHSC Scholars
National Health Service Corp (NHSC) Scholars are required to work at NHSC-approved sites in federally designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) of greatest need. The NHSC reviews data each year to determine what HPSA score a site must have in order to recruit and hire an NHSC Scholar.
Each year the NHSC will notify Corps sites as to the minimum HPSA score required to recruit an NHSC Scholarship recipient. If your site is eligible to hire a Scholar you can begin recruiting by posting a Scholar position on the NHSC recruitment site through the online Customer Service Portal.
NHSC Scholars in the Placement Cycle are provided a travel allotment to attend pre-employment interviews at eligible NHSC sites with an opening. This provides you an opportunity to interview a Scholar and showcase your community.
Each NHSC site is eligible to hire one NHSC Scholar in each of the NHSC-eligible disciplines for the scholarship program. The NHSC will consider requests for an additional Scholar on an exceptional, case-by-case basis. Sites must complete the Additional Scholar Request Form (PDF - 89 KB).
As the employer, you provide a competitive salary, malpractice coverage, and benefits. The NHSC Scholar’s service commitment is equal to the number of years he or she received scholarship assistance.
Post Job Openings
The NHSC Recruitment Site is available to NHSC members and others. You can post and update job openings through the Customer Service Portal.