The NHSC can help you recruit and retain qualified health care providers who care about patients living in communities with limited access to care and choose to work where they are needed most.
NHSC Site Benefits
- Assistance in the recruitment and retention of qualified and dedicated primary care providers and access to the NHSC Job Center, where you can promote your site and post job openings.
- Opportunities to network with other NHSC-approved sites and community organizations
- Direct access to State Primary Care Offices that help to increase access to primary health care services in your community
- Membership in a network of partners who are dedicated to providing care in underserved communities
The NHSC offers benefits at no cost to you.
Your facility may be eligible to become an NHSC-approved site if it:
- Is located in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
- Provides primary care medical, dental, or mental and behavioral health services
- Provides services regardless of a patient’s ability to pay
- Offers discounted fees to patients who qualify
- Accepts patients covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
Find a HPSA
Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) are Federally designated. They may be a geographic area, a population group, a public or private nonprofit medical facility, or other public facility, with a shortage of primary care medical, dental, or mental and behavioral health providers.
In a HPSA?
2015 NHSC Site Application Technical Assistance Recorded Webinar - View this recorded webinar, which reviews the program eligibility requirements, application process, and FAQs.
Please contact your State Primary Care Office for questions about your HPSA designation and the application. The NHSC works closely with your State Primary Care Office and will coordinate a pre-approval site visit as needed.
For additional questions or assistance in becoming an NHSC-approved site, contact the Division of Regional Operations.