WHEN TO APPLY
- The site recertification cycle is open through September 30, 2015 for sites expiring in December 2015. Review the 2015 Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB) carefully to ensure your site meets all the requirements and to gather the required documentation. Access the Customer Service Portal to submit your recertification application.
- The 2015 new site application cycle is now closed. The next NHSC new site application cycle will open in Spring 2016. Sign up to get an e-mail when it does.
NHSC-approved sites are outpatient facilities providing primary care medical, dental, and/or mental and behavioral health services. These facilities may be:
Federally-Qualified Health Centers (automatically approved)
- Community Health Center
- Migrant Health
- Homeless Program
- Public Housing Program
- School-Based Program
- Mobile Clinic
FQHC Look-Alikes (automatically approved)
American Indian Health Facilities (automatically approved)
- Federal Indian Health Service facilities
- Tribal/638 Health Facility
- Dual-Funded (Tribal Health Clinic and FQHC 330 Funded)
- Urban Indian Health Program
Correctional or Detention Facilities
- Federal Prison (automatically approved)
- State Prison
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps
Certified Rural Health Clinics Rural Health Clinic Quick Guide (PDF - 161 KB)
Critical Access Hospitals
Community Mental Health Centers
State or Local Health Departments
Community Outpatient Facilities (hospital- and non-hospital affiliated)
Private Practices (solo or group)
- Solo Practice
- Group Practice
The following site types are not eligible to apply:
- Inpatient Hospitals (including Veteran’s Administration Hospitals, with the exception of Medicare-approved Critical Access Hospitals);
- Other Inpatient Facilities;
- Residential Facilities;
- County/Local prisons.
2015 NHSC Site Application Technical Assistance Recorded Webinar - View this recorded webinar, which reviews the program eligibility requirements, application process, and FAQs.
Please contact your State Primary Care Office for questions about your HPSA designation and the application. The NHSC works closely with your State Primary Care Office and will coordinate a pre-approval site visit as needed.
For additional questions or assistance in becoming an NHSC-approved site, contact the Division of Regional Operations.