Become an NHSC Site
The application period for new NHSC Sites will open in spring of 2015. Get notified when it opens. Use the information and resources below to determine your site’s eligibility and review the required documentation needed to apply.
Inquire to see if your site qualifies for auto-approval
Community Health Centers, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Look-Alikes, Indian Health Service Facilities, Tribally-Operate 638 Health Programs, Urban Indian Health Programs, Federal Prisons, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps sites are auto-approved and do not need to submit an application during the site application period. Contact the Bureau of Health Workforce’s Division of Regional Operations to begin for more information about the auto-approval process.
Determine if your facility is in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
Check other eligibility requirements
Confirm that your site meets all of the eligibility requirements. View site eligibility requirements.
Review the NHSC Site Reference Guide
This document provides important program details that you should understand before applying.NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB).
Get your questions answered
Contact your local PCO before starting your application to make sure your site qualifies and to determine your HPSA designation. Your PCO will review your application once it is submitted. Locate your State PCO or contact the Bureau of Health Workforce’s Division of Regional Operations.
Create an account to apply onlineCreate an account with the NHSC to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually. Create your account
Gather required documentationCompile the required documentation to submit with your application.
View Required Documents View Required Documents
- Policies on Non-Discrimination. Submit a copy of the site’s policies on non-discrimination of patients based upon race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation, as per the NHSC Site Agreement.
- Sliding Fee Schedule Documents. Submit documentation (see list below) of the site’s sliding fee schedule (SFS). For examples and more information on the SFS requirement, see the Discounted/Sliding Scale Fee Information Package (PDF - 283 KB).
- Discounted Fee Schedule/SFS
- Patient Application for SFS
- Site’s Policy on the SFS
- Required Signage. Submit a photograph or copy of posted signage that meets the requirements of the NHSC Site Agreement.
- Proof of Access to Ancillary, Inpatient and Specialty Care. Attach proof of referral arrangements for ancillary, inpatient, and specialty care.
- NHSC Site Data Tables. Attach the completed NHSC Site Data Tables (PDF - 547 KB) with information on the individual site location.
Log in to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually.
For Solo and Private Practitioners
Please note that private practices may require a site visit before the application review is completed.
Learn about the approval process
Applications are generally processed within 6 to 8 weeks, however, some may take longer due to application volume, pre-approval site visit requirements, and the quality of submitted information. Please note that some sites may require a site visit before the application review is completed. Log into your account to check the status of your application.
2015 NHSC Site Application Technical Assistance Recorded Webinar - View this recorded webinar, which reviews the program eligibility requirements, application process, and FAQs.
Please contact your State Primary Care Office for questions about your HPSA designation and the application. The NHSC works closely with your State Primary Care Office and will coordinate a pre-approval site visit as needed.
For additional questions or assistance in becoming an NHSC-approved site, contact the Division of Regional Operations.
Uphams Corner Health Center ›