The NHSC can help you recruit and retain qualified providers who care about communities in need and choose to work where they are needed most. Before applying to become an NHSC-approved site, make sure that your facility qualifies.
- Facilities must be an approved site type. View eligible site types.
- Eligible sites must be located in a Federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA). To determine if your facility is located in a HPSA:
Once you have determined that your facility is eligible and located in a Federally-designated HPSA, the following additional requirements must be met:
- Provides primary care medical, dental, or mental and behavioral health services
- Ensures access to ancillary, inpatient, and specialty referrals
- Provides services regardless of a patient’s ability to pay
- Accepts Medicaid, Medicare and the Children’s Health Insurance Plan (CHIP)
- Does not reduce a provider’s salary due to NHSC support and provides a supportive environment
- Provides sound fiscal management
- Provide services on a free or reduced fee schedule basis to individuals at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level.
National Health Service Corps Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB) provides complete information on eligibility and applying to the NHSC. It is strongly recommended that sites also review the NHSC Site Agreement in its entirety (see “Appendix” section of Guide).