Become an NHSC Site
Determine if Your Facility is in a HPSA
Your facility must be located in a Federally-designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA).
Check Other Eligibility Requirements
Confirm that your site meets all of the eligibility requirements.
Review the NHSC Site Reference Guide
This document provides important program detail you should understand before applying.
NHSC Site Reference Guide (PDF - 536 KB)
Get Questions Answered
Contact your local PCO before starting your application to make sure your site qualifies and to determine your HPSA designation. Your PCO will review your application once it is submitted. You may also contact the NHSC Customer Care Center at 1-800-221-9393 or email GetHelp@hrsa.gov for additional assistance.
Create an Account to Apply Online
Create an account with the NHSC, which will allow you to apply online to become an NHSC-approved site.
Gather Required DocumentationCompile the required documentation to submit with your application.
View Required Documents
- Policies on Non-Discrimination. Submit a copy of the site’s policies on non-discrimination of patients based upon race, color, sex, national origin, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation, as per the NHSC Site Agreement.
- Sliding Fee Schedule Documents. Submit documentation (see list below) of the site’s sliding fee schedule (SFS). For examples and more information on the SFS requirement, see the Discounted/Sliding Scale Fee Information Package (PDF - 283 KB).
- Discounted Fee Schedule/SFS
- Patient Application for SFS
- Site’s Policy on the SFS
- Required Signage. Submit a photograph or copy of posted signage that meets the requirements of the NHSC Site Agreement.
- Proof of Access to Ancillary, Inpatient and Specialty Care. Attach proof of referral arrangements for ancillary, inpatient, and specialty care.
- NHSC Site Data Tables. Attach the completed NHSC Site Data Tables (PDF - 547 KB) with information on the individual site location.
Log in to complete the online application. If an organization has multiple sites located in HPSAs and would like all sites (e.g., satellite site, mobile unit, etc.) to be NHSC-approved, each location must submit a separate Site Application and be approved individually.
For Solo and Private Practitioners
Please note that private practices may require a site visit before the application review is completed.
Learn About the Approval Process
Applications are generally processed within 6 to 8 weeks, however, some may take longer due to application volume, pre-approval site visit requirements, and the quality of submitted information. Log into your account to check the status of your application.