WHEN TO APPLY
You can apply to the Scholarship Program if you are committed to primary care and accepted to or enrolled in an accredited U.S. school in one of the following primary care disciplines:
- Physicians (MD or DO)
- Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Physician Assistants
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The scholarship pays tuition, fees, other educational costs, and provides a living stipend in return for a commitment to work at least 2 years at an NHSC-approved site in a medically underserved community.
For each year of financial support (up to four years), the student agrees to serve one year (minimum two years) at an NHSC-approved site in a high-need urban, rural, or frontier community across the nation.
Service begins upon graduation (and completion of primary care residency training for doctors and dentists). The NHSC helps scholars find a practice site that's right for them. When in service, scholars earn a market-rate salary, paid by the employing facility.
Scholarship payments other than the living stipend are federal income tax-free.
The Scholarship Program accepts applications once each year. Applicants chosen to receive the scholarship are notified no later than September 30.
How It Works
You Must Be:
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national
- Full-time student at an accredited school
- Pursuing a degree in an NHSC-eligible discipline
Upon graduation and completion of training, you agree to:
- Provide care at an NHSC-approved site in a medically underserved area.
- One year of service for each year of support (minimum of two years of service, maximum of four years of support and service)
An NHSC Scholarship includes:
- Tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a monthly living stipend (taxable)
- Assistance finding a job at a high-need, NHSC-approved site
- Access to educational, training, and networking opportunities
- Becoming part of a community of providers with a shared desire to serve patients with limited access to health care
- Medicine (MD or DO)
- Dentistry (DDS or DMD)
- Nurse practitioner
- Certified nurse-midwife
- Physician assistant
2015 NHSC Scholarship Application and Program Guidance Overview Webinar
View this recorded webinar to learn about the program eligibility requirements and application process.
Students-to-Service Program for fourth-year medical students