Students to Service Program
Are you a medical student in your last year of school? Pay down your student loans during residency, serve a community in need when you finish
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Students to Service Loan Repayment Program (S2S LRP) provides up to $120,000 to medical students (MD and DO) in their last year of school in return for a commitment to provide primary health care full time for at least 3 years ($60,000 for at least 6 years half time) at an approved NHSC site in a Health Professional Shortage Area of greatest need.
Awards are subject to the availability of funds.
Sign up to receive e-mail notification when the next S2S LRP application opens in September.
Get Ready to Apply
- Read the 2014 S2S LRP Application Guidance (PDF - 479 KB). Some requirements may change for the 2015 application, but last year's guidance will give you detailed information about the program.
- Visit the NHSC Jobs Center to see the kinds of sites where S2S LRP participants serve after completing their residencies.
- Gather documentation you will need to submit with your application. You will need loan verification, school transcript, verification of good standing, proof of passing Step/Level 1 of USMLE/COMLEX, as well as letters of recommendation and a CV or resume.
- Start now. It takes approximately 3 weeks to prepare your S2S LRP application. Applications received after the deadline are not considered for funding.
HOW IT WORKS
You Are Dedicated to Primary Care
- In your final year of medical school, you are committed to pursuing a residency and career in family medicine, internal medicine, general pediatrics, geriatrics, obstetrics-gynecology, and psychiatry
- Looking for a fulfilling experience providing care in communities with a shortage of health professionals
- With qualifying educational loans taken to support your undergraduate and medical school education
You Want to Serve a Community in Need
- Apply during your last year of medical school to the NHSC Students to Service Loan Repayment Program
- Serve the primary care residency of your choice
- Upon completion of your residency, find a job at an NHSC-approved site, where you will serve at least 3 years full time or 6 years half time to receive $120,000 to repay your student loans (or the outstanding balance if it is less than $120,000)
You Receive Financial, Professional, and Personal Benefits
- Pay off all of your student loans with continued service
- Access educational, training and networking opportunities
- Join a community of providers with a shared desire to serve patients with limited access to health care
- Primary Care Physician (MD or DO)
- Dentist (DDS or DMD)
- Primary Care Certified Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
- Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
Brian Freeman, MD, MPH: I want to be a doctor that patients can trust and know I will give them the best advice I can. I want to be their health coach that guides them through any challenge that may arise.
Justin Clark, MD: I knew I wanted to do family medicine and work with the underserved, so it wasn’t a hard choice to decide to apply.
Kate di Pascale, MD: The S2S program provided a way to further my professional goals and make my dream of helping the underserved a reality.
Christen Donnelly, MD: I look forward to being matched up in a community where I can make a difference.