Before You Apply
Use the checklist below to prepare to submit your online application.
Read the Application and Program Guidance
This document describes the NHSC Loan Repayment Program in detail. It gives you all the information you need to apply to the Corps and explains the responsibilities of Corps members.
- Download the Application and Program Guidance (PDF – 370 KB)
Understand the Service Commitment
Review the required service commitment for the full-time and half-time service options. Service requirements do vary by discipline so review the Application and Program Guidance for additional details.
Learn the Types of NHSC-Approved Sites
NHSC providers must work at approved NHSC sites and many types of sites are part of the Corps. Make sure you check with your current or prospective site to ensure it is NHSC-approved.View Types of NHSC Sites
- Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC)
- FQHC Look-Alike
- Rural Health Clinic
- Hospital-affiliated Primary Care Out Patient Clinic
- Indian Health Service, Tribal Clinic, and Urban Indian Health Clinic (ITU)
- Private Practice (solo/group)
- State or Federal Correctional Facility
- Other Health Facilities:
- Community Mental Health Facility
- Community Outpatient Facility
- Critical Access Hospital
- Free Clinic
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Health Service Corps
- Mobile Unit
- School-based Health Program
- State and County Department of Health Clinic
Understand Levels of Loan Repayment Available
The Loan Repayment Program offers two levels of funding, based upon the need of the community in which a provider works. The LRP will provide up to $60,000 to primary care providers practicing at an NHSC-approved site with a HPSA score of 14 or above may receive up to $60,000 and those practicing at an NHSC-approved site with a HPSA score of 13 and below up to $40,000. Review the Application and Program Guidance for additional information.
Get a Job at an NHSC-Approved Site
In order to apply, you must have a job at an NHSC-approved site, or have an employment contract to start work at an approved site by July 15, 2013. View the Job Resources below to learn how to find a job at an NHSC-approved site.View Job Resources
A Look Inside Qualifying Loans
Voted the most difficult section of the application to complete 40+ years running, the Loans section is where applicants submit the loans they want to repay for review and approval. A misunderstanding of what is required and why can be the difference between receiving an NHSC contract and NOT! Read this to become well informed and submit a worry-free application.
View Loan Submission Instructions (PDF - 350 KB)
Gather Required DocumentationSeveral documents are required to complete the application process.
View Required Documents
- Proof of Status as a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National
- Loan Information Verification
- Account Statement
- Disbursement Report
- Verification of Disadvantaged Background
- Verification of Existing Service Obligation
- Payment History
View Eligibility Requirements
- U.S. citizen or national
- Practice in one of the following disciplines:
- Primary Care Physician (MD or DO)
- Dentist (DDS or DMD)
- Primary Care Certified Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Certified Nurse-Midwife (CNM)
- Primary Care Physician Assistant (PA)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
- Health Service Psychologist (HSP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialist (PNS)
- Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed to practice in the state in which you will serve as a Corps member.
- Unpaid government or commercial loans for school tuition, reasonable educational expenses and reasonable living expenses, segregated from all other debts (that is, not consolidated with non-educational loans).
- Currently working in a facility that is:
- An NHSC-approved facility, or
- Located in a Health Professional Shortage Area.
Register To Apply
Click I Am Eligible when you are ready to apply.
Application and Program Guidance (PDF - 370 KB) ›
Loan Repayment Program At-A-Glance fact sheet (PDF - 891 KB) ›
Loan Repayment Program Flyer (PDF - 599 KB) ›
BCRS Loan Repayment Programs for Nurses (PDF - 420 KB) ›
Find Jobs at NHSC Sites
Search for primary care job openings and information on NHSC sites. The NHSC Jobs Center currently uses HPSA data as of January 1, 2013, which are the official data for NHSC programs.